Sew pockets on dresses and skirts with this pattern and tutorial.
I’m all for going purse free when I can. If you sew your own clothes, you can have deep pockets that most women’s ready to wear clothing doesn’t have. Today I’ve got a tutorial to show you how to sew pockets in side seams. I’m also sharing a free pattern that works with any pattern that has a side seam.
How to Sew Pockets
- To sew the pockets, line them up just below the waistline on each side of the skirt back and each side of the skirt front.
- Stitch along the straight edge.
- Understitch the seam allowances onto the pocket.
- Place the skirt pieces right sides together.
- Stitch down the side seams, over and onto the pocket, and around each pocket, then back over onto the side seam and down to the bottom of the skirt.
And if you want to check out more ways to add pockets, see this post to learn how to sew patch and welt pockets.