The Sleepy Robe – Free Robe Pattern

Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews #sewing #kids #tutorial #diy

Fall still hasn’t quite fallen here in Central Texas, but it’s coming, I just know it! And when it gets a little chilly, I love my handmade robe – I have one, the hubs has one, but the kids don’t. So I set out to remedy that. And since I want to say thank you for your support last week – how about a free robe pattern? I thought about sitting on this one until Christmas, but I’m going to need it for Halloween costumes (more on that next week) so I decided to go ahead and release it.

This is just precious - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews#sewing #kids #tutorial #diy

So cute - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews#sewing #kids #tutorial #diy

So here’s to you! This pattern download is available through subscribing to my weekly email list. If you’re already a subscriber, check your inbox – you should have gotten the pattern link this morning. If you aren’t a subscriber, why not? You can fix that by subscribing here. The pattern link will be in the SECOND email – the one after you confirm your subscription.
(PS – if you have trouble finding either your confirmation email or the email with the pattern link, try checking your spam, trash, junk, bulk, social and/or promotional email tabs or folders. Free pattern links are also included in every weekly newsletter; these go out on Friday afternoons. Due to the number of subscribers I can’t email pattern links to individuals.)

The great thing about this pattern is that it

1. Is super EASY
  2. Comes in 4 sizes – 18m/2T, 3T/4T, 5/6 and 7/8 If you need to make the pattern bigger or smaller, check out this post
  3. Can be made in pretty much any fabric – knits, woven, fleece, whatever floats your boat!

One caveat – this free pattern is licensed for personal use only, and by downloading you are agreeing to that license. If you’d like to sell items from this pattern, please contact me to purchase it – your purchase comes with a limited production license. Email mellysews(at)gmail.com

Ready to start sewing? First, print the pattern – use Adobe Reader, print at 100% and check the test square on the first page. You’ll cut at the outside edges of the gray boxes and look for the circles to match up pieces and tape the pattern together.

Follow the cutting instructions on the pattern; note that you need to cut rectangles for the belt and the band; measurements for each size are listed on the pattern.

1/2″ (12mm) seam allowance is included on the pattern

Sew the robe fronts to the robe back at the shoulders, right sides together. Finish these seams. New to seam finishing? Check out this post. Shoulders - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Make the belt loops – fold the loop right sides together, matching the long edges. Stitch. (Note: I used my serger because it was fast and it’s the machine I was sitting at. You absolutely don’t need a serger to sew this). Turn the loops right side out. I like to use my Dritz Quick Turn (affiliate link) tool to do this – seriously now that I have one I curse the years I spent using a safety pin. But safety pins totally work. They just take longer.

Belt Loops - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Place your belt pieces right sides together, matching the short edges. Stitch across one short edge so your belt is now one long piece. Next, take your belt and fold in half, right sides together, matching long edges. Sew down long side and one short end (top picture).

While you’re at it, sew two short ends of the band together, right sides together (bottom picture).

sleepy-robe-1-1

Turn the belt right side out. Fold the raw short ends 1/2″ (12mm) to the inside of the belt. Press the entire belt. Topstitch across the end to close it. You can continue topstitching around the rest of the belt if desired.

Belt - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Pin the band to the robe, right sides together, starting by centering the band seam at the center back neck, then pinning down the front edges. Stitch. Again, you do not have to use a serger to do this.

Band - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Press the raw long edge of the band 1/2″ to the wrong side, and press the seam towards the band.

Band Step 2 - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Fold the band so that the folded and pressed raw edge covers the seam. Pin in place, then stitch on the right side in the ditch made by the seam.

Band Step 3 - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Pin sleeves to robe, right sides together, easing around the curve and sew.

Pin the belt loops to the robe front. You can measure where to place these on your child, or just place about 1/3 of the way down from the armpit to the hem.

Sleeves and Belt loops - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

Fold the robe, matching the underarm seams and pinning the robe front to the robe back at the sides. Stitch all in one seam from the robe hem to the sleeve cuff.

Side seams - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

If your band was too long, trim off any excess, then fold the hem up 1/2″ (12mm) twice and stitch. Do the same to hem the sleeves.

Hem - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews

And put that robe over your favorite pajamas. In Bean’s case those would be his Lazy Day Pajamas.

Must sew! Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews#sewing #kids #tutorial #diy You know you want it - Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews#sewing #kids #tutorial #diy I want to squeeze him and the bear, and make this Sleepy Robe - Free Pattern and Tutorial for Children's Robe Sizes 18m-8 - Melly Sews#sewing #kids #tutorial #diy

Comments

1. Carole says

Many Thanks Melly for another free gift, will be sewing these for my grandchildren now that the weather has changed so drastically. Any chance of an adults size for sale???? PLEASE

2. Mai says

Hi Melly,

I’m a subscriber & I get your emails but I checked my inbix and didn’t get a link for the robe download. :(

Thanks,
    Mai

• says

The free pattern links are in the weekly subscriber email list – please check that you are subscribed to the weekly email list.

If you receive daily emails from my site, those are automatically configured through Feedburner to pull the first few sentences from any blog post. I can’t edit those emails or add links or anything like I can with the weekly emails.

You can subscribe to the weekly email list here: http://mad.ly/signups/86876/join

That sign up will generate a confirmation email, and once you confirm, then it will automatically send a welcome email with the pattern link. If you can’t find the welcome email, check your spam and trash folders.

• Pam Campbell says

I have received the pattern for the boys robe, but can not see where it says how much material to buy? Looking for size 4T.
        Thank you.

3. Cindi says

Thank you! I have two little grandsons that are just the size for these! They have moved from an apt that stayed hot (as in open the window in the winter hot!) to a house that the thermostat will be turned down in! I have made them patterns for sleep pants from old pants but a robe would really be appreciated I know!

• says

• Raechel says

So I just signed up to your email list, will I receive this even though it’s already been sent out? I really need it!

4. Maria says

OMG!!! I wanted to make robes for my nieces and nephews for christmas this year (I always make them pjs and nightgowns) and was dreading having to draft a pattern since I don’t know how ;-)
    You have made my life so much easier, thank you!!

PS: I had to re-subscribe to get the link for downloading

• Amy says

I just cut this out in the 3T/4T size. I got two yards of flannel from Joann just to make sure I have enough, and I think you could squeeze it onto 1 3/4 yards. But mine’s a solid, if you use prints or stripes you might need more. That’s my best estimate! Hope it’s helpful!

• says

5. sande says

Like several others, I’ve been a subscriber for a long time. I got this announcement email, but no link for the pattern. I did check my spam filter, I check it every morning and every afternoon. No pattern link. I’ve checked everywhere I can think of on this site as well, and no links to the pattern. Any ideas?

• says

6. Sandy Corey says

What are the fabric requirements for each size? Thank you for the chance to obtain this pattern for free. You have a good heart!

7. Bethany B. says

Howdy from a fellow Central Texan! I just found your blog and am super excited to make two of these to go with my kids’ Christmas pjs! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial!!!!

8. sorahart says

Thanks for sharing your sewing genius! I made fleece robes for my monkeys last winter but I will use this to make lighter-weight ones out of flannel or knit for spring and summer. Thanks again!

9. Brenda Melahn says

I too am a subscriber to your weekly newsletter and a Bloglovin’ follower (so I don’t miss anything) but I did not receive an email this morning with link to free pattern :(

10. VickiT says

I see my question was already asked and answered about the amount of fabric. Thank you for being so quick to reply to questions for us. I’m sure it can’t be too much fabric and with the pattern pieces I’m sure we can figure it out easily.

I also read other comments that seem to be thinking the same as I saying they are going to use this to make gifts for their Grandchildren. That was the very first thing that came to my mind. I’ve already added this to my list of things to make for them as a matter of fact. Thank you so much.

I’m thinking already how stinkin’ cute this robe will be using minky/cuddle fabrics. I wonder if a belt made from cotton ends though with minky/cuddle for the back might stay tied better than a belt made from the minky/cuddle fabric though. Might have to play with that and see what happens since I know how slippery minky can be.

Thanks for such a cute pattern! I have all the fabric cut out (the 3T/4T took about a yard) and am just getting started sewing. One question: am I supposed to sew the two belt pieces together (short sides, rst) before following directions to fold, and sew one short and one long side?
    Thanks so much! The little sis in the house has been dying to have her own fleece robe just like her sister!

12. Stephanie says

Does anyone have a guess-timate for how much fabric the different sizes use? I have will be making one in every size….for each of my kids :)

13. Kelie says

I follow on Bloglovin’ but when I subscribe to the email listing, nothing happens. I’ve checked my spam folder and other settings, to no avail. Did anyone else have this problem?

14. Jodie says

This robe is so cute – especially on your adorable son! I can’t find anywhere that says how much fabric I need to purchase. Am I just missing it somewhere?

15. anne says

hello,
    i want to sew tjis onne for my daughter, age 2,5 year, can you tell me if it fits small or large? which size do you think I must choose? thanks a lot

16. Shannon says

I am loving this robe! I am going to make this for my granddaughters to match the pj’s I am making. They will love it! Quick question though – the front piece says to cut 2, I’m wondering if these 2 should be mirrored? Thank you so much for this lovely pattern!

17. Mars says

I made the 18 month out of flannel it took 1 and 1/2 yards of a non directional print. I also interfaced the band. There is one error in your directions;

Turn the belt right side out. Fold the raw short ends 1/2″ (12mm) to the inside of the belt. Press the entire belt. Topstitch across the end to close it. You can continue topstitching around the rest of the belt if desired.

Your forget to say to sew the two belt pieces together at the short end and then to sew around the three edges. Otherwise the belt is to short.

Thank you for the pattern it looks adorable on my 1 year old grandson. All he needs is a sippy cup of milk and a newspaper and he looks like a mini of his dad.

Thanks so much Melissa, I made a robe for each of my 3 kids a couple of weeks ago as the ones they had were a few years overdue to be replaced as they were far too small. They wanted me to add a hood so I just used the hangout hoody hood and added some patch pockets and I have 3 very happy kids – we couldn’t wait until Christmas as we’re going into summer here in Melbourne and I made them from a snuggly black fleece (their choice). I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

Thanks for the great pattern. I made the 7/8 for my daughter’s birthday. I ran into one small problem: the band dimensions were 2 inches short on either side after I pinned the center band seam to the center back. I will cut the pieces 4″x40″next time. Just FYI, I eeked the main pattern out from 1 yard of 60″ wide fleece and used coordinating flannel for the band, some arm cuffs and the waist tie. Thanks again for the free pattern…. you can see the robe here:http://erickmarnae.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/a-robe/

20. Emily says

I am posting with my findings for the amount of fabric I needed for this project. I made made sizes 3/4 and 5/6 in directional prints. For all the back, fronts, and sleeves, I needed 1.5 yards, and I had a little bit left over for each size (enough to make a matching robe for a 15″ doll in the case of the 3/4 size, and probably enough from the larger size’s scraps). I bought 1.5 yards of coordinating fabric for the belts and bands (I made three robes, 2 in size 3/4 and one in size 5/6), and I have some leftovers of that as well. Since I used a not-stretchy flannel, I would not have preferred to buy less fabric for the 3/4 and had just enough length for the 5/6. I would also recommend getting 1.5 yards for size 18 m/2, as Mars suggested (above).

Also, ditto Mars’ comment about sewing the belt together. In fact, I would recommend making the belt a bit longer. It’s long enough for me to tie in a knot but not a bow. This problem may be avoided if you’re using a stretchier fabric, though.

Also, beltloops placed 1/3 of the way down was way too low for my daughter’s liking. I really recommend measuring if you can. I asked Melissa about this in an e-mail, and she said 1/4 of the way from armpit to hem may be better for the larger sizes. For a tiny 3.5 yr-old (I made her size 3/4) and her tiny 5.5-yr old brother (size 5/6), I asked them where they wanted to tie the belt, and it turned out only about 4 or 5 inches below the armpit. They are super skinny/small kids, just for reference.

Thanks for the free pattern, Melissa! Good luck to everyone else sewing it up.

Thanks so much for sharing this! I just made one in polar fleece in size 5/6 ( took 1 metre of 150cm wide). My daughter is very happy! Now to make another for her sister….

22. mari mont says

hola, me encanta esta pagina, todo esta calidad, gracias por estos aportes tan bueno.
    Me suscribi y confirme suscripción y quisiera el patrón de La túnica sagrada Sleepy – Robe Patrón No me llego puede enviármela a este correo, estaré muy agradecida. gracias

23. Emma says

Discovered this via a Pinterest link yesterday. I’ve subscribed to your newsletter. Is there any way i can get access to this pattern please?

24. Jo says

Thanks so much for this pattern. I have looked in several shops in the last couple of weeks for a robe for my grandson, but apparently only little girls in Perth Western Australia get cold on winter nights – not little boys. I had a fantastic pattern years ago, but I’ve lost it :-(. I am looking forward to stretching my ‘sewing muscles’ while making this for my grandson (he stays over once a week and has a mini wardrobe here). Thanks again, I wasn’t looking forward to paying out again for a pattern that I will probably find when I least expect it!!

25. Yolanda says

Hi – just cut the pattern out for the robe. My daughter in law wanted a traditional/smoking jacket type robe like my son had 30 years ago and we couldn’t find one for a 1 year old. I will make the 18month size and she can put it away. I’m going to make it in a tweed type material. Only thing is I have never made clothes before – so I hope this is pretty easy. Thanx you so much for the pattern because I just couldn’t find one in the smaller size.

26. Lorena says

I just subscribed and downloaded the pattern to this amazing robe, thank you for sharing the pattern with us all. I have been dreaming of making a robe for my kids since I don’t find them in stores too often and when I do they are so pricey!
    I am very excited to make one for each of my beans and in different sizes. Thank you to the more experienced readers that have tried it and given suggestions, it is helpful to novices like me.
    I am going to LOVE your blog.

27. Patty Marsden says

Thanks very much for making this pattern available for us. You are so thoughtful! I’m sure my little girl will love it!