Today I’m going to show you how I made Tater’s trunks from the Beach Bums look. They really weren’t that hard. The hardest part was figuring out the fabric. I got the print microfiber from The Fabric Fairy, and the blue is nylon taffeta from Hancock Fabrics. The mesh liner on the inside is also from Hancock Fabrics.
I started with a one-piece pants pattern (if you don’t have one you can make one following the directions here). I traced the pattern onto my paper, then sketched in the curves for the right leg.
I flipped the pattern over and traced it again for the left leg, drawing a line across the top for the print fabric, making sure it would line up on the front and back crotch lines with the end of the print fabric on the right leg. Then I cut the pattern into pieces on my lines, adding 1/2″ seam allowances to each newly cut edge. After I pinned and cut my fabric, I had this
And then I stopped taking pictures (sorry!) I sewed the pieces of the right leg together, then the pieces of the left leg. Then I sewed the pocket on the left leg, and from that point on sewed them together like normal shorts.
With the exception of the mesh liner
For that I traced the liners from Tater’s old trunks as a pattern, adding in an inch to the legs to make a casing. I encased elastic on the leg openings, then basted the top of the liner to the top edge of the trunks before attaching the waistband.
I also topstitched the seams flat with contrasting thread as I went along.
And there’s a stylish (and functional) pair of trunks if I do say so myself!
If you enjoyed this post, I'd love for you to share, like, +1 or pin with the buttons below the related links. Or subscribe to my RSS feed or my weekly newsletter (psst - newsletter subscribers get access to free stuff) so you don't miss out on the latest. Thanks!