In case missed it, I want to share my Christmas outfit with you – this is what I wore to church. I originally shared this tulle skirt tutorial last week at Sewing in No Man’s Land for the 12 Skirts of Christmas.
When I first started thinking about what kind of skirt I wanted to make for that series, I knew a few things. I wanted it to be feminine and romantic, and I wanted it to be my skirt for church on Christmas. And I knew I wanted to wear tights and a sweater, so I wouldn’t be freezing. If the temperature gets below 50, I’m freezing. Good thing that usually doesn’t happen a whole lot in Central Texas. Though lately someone has imported some unseasonable cold and I DON’T appreciate it.
This skirt is actually a refashion of my tulle skirt that I sewed for Sewvivor, which I have a full tutorial for here. I hadn’t really worn that skirt much since I made it. It was just a little too full and a little too big in the waist for me to be comfortable.
So I cut the waistband and button band out of the skirt, and then cut some of the fullness out, making the waist smaller at the same time (I measured the waist to determine how much to cut out). Then I sewed the skirt back together, installing an invisible zipper along the seam line.
The tulle was also a little bridal on its own, which was another reason I hadn’t worn it. So I kept thinking about what to do to make it less, so, and finally I hit on the idea of appliqueing it.
The appliques are actually cut out of my refashioned Cutwork Dress – another garment that hasn’t been worn lately, because I broke the zipper last time I wore it and hadn’t put a new one in. Rather than put in a new zipper, I just decided to cut up the dress and use the flowers as embellishment. I cut them off into shapes following the lines of the original applique. Honestly, it probably would have taken less time to just put a new zipper in the dress.
But…I loooooove the way the new skirt turned out! I added a navy satin waist band that I cut off the original Cutwork Dress. I couldn’t decide whether to put the appliques on the final layer of tulle or under it, so after a highly scientific Facebook survey, I decided to go with the majority and put them under. To applique them on, I stuck pieces of Pellon Stick N Washaway under the tulle, then pinned the satin flowers to the top. The stabilizer kept the tulle from stretching while I added the appliques, and gave me something substantial to sew into. I spent an hour at my machine doing an applique zig-zag stitch around the edges of all the flower pieces, then threw the whole thing in the wash. I love that part of the Pellon Stick n Washaway – when I pulled my skirt out all signs of stabilizer were g.o.n.e.
I am so glad I went with the majority and put the tulle over – the top layer of tulle really softens the look of the appliques and gives it the perfect touch of romance in my opinion.
Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!