I don’t know about you, but I tend to wear my pajamas until they can’t be worn anymore. And the boxers and tank tops I’ve been sleeping in for the last few summers are s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out. Time to sew pajamas for summer. With some of the Radiance I bought at Michael Levine, I made myself some slinky silk cotton big girl pjs. And no, I am not putting a picture of myself wearing them on the internet. Sorry, Molly will have to do.
I added a henley placket using the method in this trusty tutorial to the tank top pattern I’m still tweaking from this post (it’s towards the bottom). And yes, I realize I meant to release this as a pattern, and I will at some point, but it’s just not good enough yet. But getting really close. This tank is also bias cut, where the first one was not.
- 1/2 yard of knit fabric. I used stretch French terry.
- 1 package of 1/2″ (extra wide) double fold bias tape
- 1″ (25mm) wide elastic, 27 inches or so
- The pattern…
You can get the free pattern (only as a newsletter subscriber), which is in a women’s size small, for hips up to 36″ and waist 28″, by clicking your preferred option below. Or, you can purchase the PDF pattern in sizes XXS-3X.
Please note that all my free patterns are licensed for personal use only (no selling items made from this unless you purchase it) and by downloading you are agreeing to this license.
Because I made the original shorts pattern for knits and this is a woven fabric, I had to increase the pattern width a little. (You won’t need to do this is using the purchased Barton Shorts pattern, which is sized for woven.) To do this I cut a straight, vertical line on each pattern piece and spread it apart 1/4″. Since you have 4 pieces (2 fronts and 2 backs) this increases the total pattern width 1″. For more information on slash and spread grading, check out this post.
If you’re going up in size more than a couple inches, you should also add about 1/4″ in length for each 1 inch wider you’re making these. So you’ll cut the pattern into 4 pieces. Like this:
Since this tank top is stuck in pattern development still, if you want another in the meantime, I have this free one.