My next project for Project: Redecorate was to sew curtains (technically, valances) for my living room. In case you missed any, click the image below to see the other Project: Redecorate posts.
These valances really couldn’t be easier. They’re rectangles, fastened with grosgrain ribbon to create the scallop.
In order to sew these curtains, I measured my curtain rod, including the return, then added 2 1/2″ so that I could do a 1 1/4″ hem on each side. I measured the length I wanted, then added 5 inches for the curtain rod (because I have very wide, flat curtain rods in here) and 1″ for the hem.
I hemmed the sides, turning under 1/4″ then 1″. Next I hemmed the bottoms of the rectangles. No need to line these as I have blinds in this room. Finally, I ironed the top edge under 1/2″, then turned it down 4 1/2″, wide enough to make my curtain rod casing. I sewed a straight line across that edge, and I was mostly done.
I say mostly because I added these ties to the valances. I sewed velcro onto the ribbon, and then fastened those around the valance and curtain rod to gather. Done.
This big print is taking some getting used to, as I previously had these curtains – they were just white with a yellow gingham border. I also had the ribbons tied in bows to hold them up.
Much more sophisticated now, I think.
And there again is my new table – still debating on whether to re-stain it or paint it white. In the meantime it’s a nice pedestal for my vintage lighted globe.
I have some guest posts coming up, and then the (30) Days of Sundresses series, so Project: Redecorate may not be back until July. Hopefully by then I can have the whole room finished and we can do before/after comparisons.
Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!