I added pockets because I have resolved that I shall have no more skirts or dresses without them.
And then I dragged Tater out on a weekend morning to take pictures for me. I think he did a pretty good job!
The first hack to the pattern was to the upper front bodice – I cut it on the fold, minus the seam allowance. That eliminated the split neckline and ties and left me a clean surface to embroider.
I wanted to keep the high low hem of the original Valetta, but I didn’t want it to be longer than my knees in the back, and I didn’t want the dress to be too short at the sides or front. So I added 8 inches in length to the front – just sliding the pattern down, and then 8 inches at the side seam of the back tapering to 6 inches at the center back. I did have to re-draw the curve of the back, but that way I got the contrast without it being too dramatic. Also note that I am short, so you may want to add more length than I did.
I think the length worked out perfectly.
Seriously so in love with the embroidery!
For the pockets of the dress, I stole the pocket pattern piece from my Tillery Skirt, then added 1/2″ all around to make them a little bigger. I sewed them on according to the directions in that pattern after playing pin the pocket on the dress to determine exactly where I wanted to place them.
Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!