Projects made with Blooms and Bobbins Fabric by Melissa Mora for Riley Blake Designs
Hey y’all, today I wanted to share all the looks I’ve made from my Blooms and Bobbins fabric line all in one place, including some that I haven’t posted about here yet. I also have some sources for buying the fabric linked. And I have a video lookbook so you can see some of these projects in action. You can watch the video (which shows all of the fabrics in the line) below or on YouTube here.
The main project I haven’t shown on this site is the full length floral dress with a train I made. I sewed this to show in my Quilt Market booth last fall, but just recently took pictures of it on me. And let me tell you, these photos were an adventure!
While the photos turned out gorgeous, I got back in the car after this session with burning feet and ankles from getting bitten and stung by things dwelling in the weeds. The things we’ll do for the picture to keep.
I can’t point you at a pattern for this dress because I drafted the whole thing for myself based on my own measurements. And in fact, I can’t even point you at a source for this exact fabric. This was a digitally printed strike off before the line came out, and they made a mistake on the scale. So the actual fabric you can buy has flowers half the size of the ones I’m wearing here.
To make this dress I started with the bodice from the velvet dress I made here. I changed the skirt to gored panels so I could add a train for drama since this was the focal point of my Quilt Market booth (which you can see here). I also added pockets and instead of the flutter sleeves on my velvet dress I went with tulip sleeves. Every detail was designed to take advantage of the fact that I was sewing a dress in quilting cotton, which is not always the best fabric for garments. It doesn’t have as much drape as many garment fabrics, so patterns that rely on seams and structure work better than patterns that rely on drape and fluidity of the fabric.
The other projects I sewed up for Quilt Market but haven’t shown here were these Raleigh Romper dresses I made for my niece. Though I sewed two dresses so I could display them on the wall, it would also be possible to make one dress with the contrast as the lining so that the dress would be reversible. I added Buttercup Bloomers underneath, which you can glimpse in the video.Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!