Second to last Project Redecorate project! (If you want a recap, click here) Today I’m talking about the artwork I put on the big blank wall above the sofa that appeared when we rearranged the furniture. There are two mini wall-art tutorials here.
We decided to go with kind of a travel theme for the wall, and I actually have 2 more pictures to hang from a trip to Malta we took several years ago, hence the blank spot in the top right corner.
The Paris and Seattle posters were purchased in each place (though the Paris one was not purchased by us – haven’t made it there yet. Someday). I wanted a poster from Spain (which we have visited – spent a summer there) that looked like vintage travel posters, but I didn’t want to pay the vintage travel poster price.
So, I found this picture I took in Spain:
I cropped it, ran it through several filters in Photoshop (can’t even tell you what all I did – I just played for an hour until it looked like I wanted it to) and added the text to make it look like an old travel poster. This is my photoshop file:
So I put that file through Illustrator to tile it into 4 pages. I printed it on my inkjet printer, nothing fancy – regular printer paper. You can see that it changed the colors a little, but not anything I minded.
I used my rotary cutter to cut the edges of the papers off the printouts…
And added a $2 thrift store frame. It was ugly yellow when I bought it, but a coat of white paint spiffed it right up.
There are two Hawaii pictures up – one is a photo I took of the boys last year when we were in Hawaii.
And the other was a painting created by the boys. First I masked off three stripes on the canvas with painters tape for the ocean, sand and sky. I let the boys paint these at different times, so each strip had time to dry before being masked off again. I gave each boy several shades of each color when they were painting (I made the shades by adding white or black to the base colors) so each section wouldn’t look flat.
I also masked off the word “Hawaii” with painter’s tape so the white of the canvas shows there.
Then I cut palm trees out of freezer paper from an outline I free handed. I had the freezer paper folded in half while I cut it, so I got 2 mirror images of the palm trees. Then I ironed this onto the canvas.
And again gave the boys several shades of green – and even a little yellow.
Bean quit early on, but Tater finished the trees.
And once I peeled up the freezer paper, this is what we had to hang on the wall. It’s not perfect, but the boys loved having part in creating it.
Just one project left and then I’m calling this living room redo DONE!Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!