So, Project Redecorate took a hiatus due to the Sew in Tune series and the Spring Collection patterns, and then Sewvivor and the blazer sewalong, and KCWC…but I’ve been plugging along at redecorating the living room and before we get into the (30) Days of Sundresses series I WILL share some redecorating posts. Today I’m going to show you how to sew floor pillows for extra kid seating. Or, actually, I’m going to link you to the tutorial I followed and explain the modifications I made.
If you missed the first two posts, I shared how we re-arranged our living room here, and how we reupholstered a 1972 craigslist recliner here. In the first post I shared how I sold the boys’ PBK Anywhere Chair because they kept fighting over/on it. So I had promised them floor cushions as a replacement, and this is what they got:
The elephant fabric is this one which is out of stock, but this one looks similar, and I think they’re sold out of the fabric I used on the sides (it was on clearance) so I can’t even tell you what it was, but this one has similar colors. If this fabric looks familiar, it’s because I used all my scraps to make the fabric Easter baskets. I made the blue piping with leftover blue sateen from a maternity shirt I sewed long ago, and there was only enough fabric/cording to go around the top side of each pillow. I wanted to do both edges, but that’s where impatience will get you.
The tutorial I followed was this one from Living with Punks with a few modifications. First of all I had to cut my sides in sections, so while at it I added a zipper to one section.
I also changed the dimensions; mine are 27″ diameter and 8″ tall.
And of course I was in a hurry, so I didn’t take pictures of the zipper as I did it, but you do it the same way as a zipper pouch. Hopefully that makes sense, if not see this example.
I used both foam pieces and bean bag stuffing to fill the pillows. I keep meaning to sew the zipper pulls down so the boys don’t accidentally on purpose open them and spread mess all over the rug – those tiny pellets would be a ***** to have to pick out of the carpet. I also think maybe I should have put the stuffing inside a muslin lining that could be removed if I need to wash the covers. Right now I’m just crossing my fingers no one spills anything. Which means that by typing that I probably just jinxed myself.
As you can see they stack very nicely, usually over in the corner out of the way. I dragged them out for better lighting and photos. Bean and Tater specifically requested stripes going different ways.
And they’re perfect for movie night.
Get access to my free pattern gallery - sign up for my newsletter!