I meant to do this refashion tutorial back in July, I really did. But I got part way in and the sleeves weren’t working and it was just time to set it aside before I trashed it. I’m glad I did, because I really like the way it turned out.
The original item was a clearance XXL dress. I liked the lace and the exposed zipper in the back, but as you can see just from looking at it on Molly, it was a sack. I originally wanted to keep it as a dress in my size, but that’s where I ran into issues and put it aside. When I picked it back up this month I decided to go sleeveless, and I do like it.
So I started by cutting the dress apart on the seams, discarding the elastic that was originally in the waist.
I used the bodice lining piece from my Colorblock V-Neck as a guide to cut the bodice down to size.
I put the bodice back together in the same way as I did the V-Neck dress as well – armholes, then side seams. The I cut the skirt down to top length and gathered it to fit the bodice. I sewed in place with a zig-zag stitch.
Then I cut some thin elastic that was 1 1/2″ less in length than around my under bust, sewed it into a loop, and sewed it around the waist while stretching it to the same length as the fabric. This cinched in the waist a little more for a fitted look.
And then I let Tater take pictures of me (since he cooperated while I took pictures of him for the Sewing for Kindergarten post I’ll share next week).
So in the end it was pretty easy, after I figured out what I wanted to do with the oversized dress!