Summer Breeze Tank

This tutorial originally appeared on Keeping it Simple last month. It’s a super easy tank – get the supplies and you might even be able to make one for your July 4th festivities.

I went back and forth about sharing the pattern for this, and here’s why: When you’re nice enough to share a free pattern, you’d be surprised (I was!) at the e-mails/comments you get asking you to re-size it and/or angry e-mails about why you didn’t make multiple sizes to begin with. I know, the majority of you lovely blog readers are as shocked as I was. I’m a small, short, flat chested person, and I know that’s not the most common body type, so I wondered if I would get more of those than I do with kids clothes.

So here’s the deal – I am linking my size 32″ bust/ 36″ hips pattern for FREE. If your bust/hips are bigger, you’ll have to resize. If you need to make the pattern bigger or smaller, check out this post.

OK, you’ll need the pattern for the front, which you can download HERE. This is a PDF file, you’ll print it across 3 pages of paper and then tape them together. When you print, set your printer to borderless, and don’t scale anything. If your printer won’t print borderless, set it to the smallest margins you can and print anyway without scaling – you should be able to connect pattern lines across the page breaks. Butt the edges of the pages together – don’t overlap – and tape. The pages line up landscaped, one on top of the other in a 3 page column.

A note about fabric – this will look best in a very lightweight and drapey fabric – cotton gauze, cotton lawn or voile, a very thin jersey, etc. The seersucker was almost too thick for it. If you use quilting weight, this will probably look like a square sack on you. Consider yourself warned ;-)

You will also need 14 inches of elastic (not pictured below), and a 10″x17″ rectangle to use as your tank back pattern. Cut the tank back with one long edge on the fold of the fabric.

IMPORTANT – In the step below, DON’T sew all the way to the bottom – leave the bottom 3 inches (including lace) open to form the side vents. Also, use a 5/8″ seam allowance here.

Throw it on on a hot summer day!

Happy sewing!

Comments

This is so pretty! I love the added detail in the straps. I probably would’ve taken the easy route and just slapped on some non-adjustable straps, but yours are so much nicer. If you’re looking for another place to share your creative projects, stop by Etcetorize. Would love to see you there, there’s never enough sewing projects!

2. Emilia says

Soooo cute. it is very generous of you to share. although, my body won’t fit, it inspires me to try to draft on myself….

Adorable! I can see this longer as a lounger or sleep shirt – depending upon how my next week turns out, maybe I can try to draft it larger (1x) – I will post again.

4. Justine of SewCountryChick says

So pretty Melissa! I have often wondered how to make those type of adjustable straps

5. Misty @Creative Itch says

Love the lace on this tank!

Thanks for sharing @’Sew Cute Tuesday’.
    I’ll be featuring you tomorrow, so be sure
    to stop by and grab a ‘featured’ button!

6. Melinda says

This is so cute. I like Betsy’s idea of a sleep shirt. Thanks for sharing the pattern (I will have to grade it) and the tutorial. I have never done adjustable straps.

• Kay says

This is the kind of tops my granddaughter likes, so am going to make one to fit her. She is a little bigger busted than a 32 so will adjust, but as I can sew I think i can figure out how to make it bigger. Thanks for sharing.

7. DOTTIE says

Thank you for this beautiful tank top. I will make an attempt to make one for myself; unfortunately for me, I will use one of my older tanks to make my alternations since over the years I sort of “expanded some what” lol. And unfortunately for me have never been able to have the smaller bust (which in some cases/times envy those that have been blessed that way), since toting those bigger umm boobs around cause some back pains some times. So just ignore those whom just insist on gripping, you can not please every body out there. I think you have done a great job and thank you again.

8. debbie b says

VERY WELL DONE !!!! young woman . THANK U FOR THE STRAPS !! :) I usually try to recycle
    something
    which doesn’t always work well. CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW TOP !! mending for EVER it seems

9. Debbie says

What a great tutorial. I used to be flat chested, then got hit with the puberty stick after having children…lol. I will give this a go and do a FBA to get it to fit. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie…(0;

10. Danita says

You really are such a sweet person and YES I am sad you have to explain yourself to anyone who might complain why you didn’t make this for “them” in “their” size for free! But you are too nice, and handle yourself with poise and grace. That’s why I enjoy reading your blogs and viewing your patterns so much. I am an experienced seamstress of 30 years and still love learning from your tutorials, and tips. Sometimes the new way IS better, faster and easier! THANK YOU!

What I especially will be looking forward to is boy patterns and tips. In all my years there have only been girls to sew for. An occasional boy costume, but nothing of real substance. I just found out I am having my first grandson and am thrilled. I am also nervous about what sort of things I can make for the little guy. (So I will be coming to you for help AND encouragement!)

Thank you again for your confidence, kindness and excellence! I really appreciate you!
    Your humble reader.

11. Charmaine says

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I think it looks adorable and I’m definitely going to make one for myself.