Hooray - you read the whole post! Wanna hang out more? Check out the best sewing pins with me on Pinterest, join our Facebook discussions, get your daily sewing fix and behind the scenes scoops on Instagram, and your weekly updates/free pattern access through the newsletter.
In this tutorial I’m going to show you how I made the flower for the headband in the His & Hers Henleys. It was a happy accident – I started with the circle that had been cut out for the waist of the skirt, and made it up from there.
So, to make yours, start with a circle around 6-7 inches in diameter, and another around 5 inches in diameter.
1. Fold each circle in half 3 times (in half, in quarters, in eighths).
2. Round off the edges as shown.
3. Open out your circle and sew a gathering stitch around the inside circle edge.
4. Pull the gathering stitch tight.
5. Sew through the middle of the petals to hold the flower gathered. Repeat steps 1-5 with the second circle.
6. Layer the smaller circle on top of the larger one, then sew them both onto a small circle for a base.
After those steps, you’ll have the flower below:
Sew a button into the center of the flowers, then sew your flower onto a head band or glue it to a clip. You’re done!