Hooray - you read the whole post! Wanna hang out more? Check out the best sewing pins with me on Pinterest, join our Facebook discussions, get your daily sewing fix and behind the scenes scoops on Instagram, and your weekly updates/free pattern access through the newsletter.
This was my sewing chair
Functional but ugly. I’ve had recovering it on my to do list for quite a while. So I finally did it. It took about an hour, which made me wonder why I waited so long.
First, I unscrewed the seat and the seat back. I was left with the frame, which got a tube of fabric squished on it. I know I marked this as a not sewing project, but that was all I sewed.
I stapled fabric and ruffle over the seat from underneath. The trick to re-upholstering chair seats like this is to staple down the center of each side first, doing all 4 sides, then working out to each edge and tucking/pleating as you go. That way the fabric doesn’t get pulled wonky and you don’t end up with a ton of extra fabric around the corners.
(See, I didn’t even sew the back edges – just cut with pinking shears)
The seat back came apart by pressing and wiggling.
I covered the front part the same way as the seat, then covered the plastic part using a top-secret method. Masking tape.
Really, the plastic lip is what holds this in place, so the masking tape was just to hold it while I put the two pieces back together, which require some flathead screwdrivers (to hold the lip out) and my knee (to press the top in).
Screwed it back together, and now I have this in front of my sewing machine
And of course as soon as I did this, I saw Sugar Bee Crafts chair redo and now I have to go get some spray paint for the black parts you can still see.