I bought this fabric a few weeks ago
Much more flattering. Check out the new side view
Baby belly gone. Now for the darts. I’m holding my chalk pointing at the bottom of Molly’s boob, which is where I want the tip of the dart to end up
So I drew in my new dart line and stripped Molly.
Here’s another closeup of my learning curve – see the hand sewing at the bottom corners of the placket? Luckily that helped me figure out how to make a perfect placket for the final version.
I also figured out I want to gather, not pleat, below the placket.
So, I laid my inside-out shirt on the table, and drew a chalk line 1/2″ outside my pins (so that I’d have a seam allowance). I cut along the chalk line and then laid that piece on my pattern piece like so
I’m a little in from the pattern edge because that’s how much my serger cut off while I was sewing. I traced the fabric piece to get the new side curve onto the pattern
Before I cut on my new line, I had to deal with the dart. I measured the difference in height between the chalk line that I drew while I was wearing the shirt and the actual dart. It was about 1 inch, so I put my clear ruler on the original dart, and lined up a gridline over the dart line with one inch above to draw the new line at the same angle. I repeated for the second dart line and ended up with this
Next I cut up to the bottom of the dart, and used that piece lined up with my new edge to trace how far the dart should stick out
I repeated these steps on the back, minus the futzing with the dart, and then pinned the two pattern pieces together at the side seam to make sure they matched. I trimmed a little to even them out.
And now I think I have a pattern worthy of the project fabric.